My Uncle Jim used to advise us to eat orange sticks when we had a cold. As a health professional and a human being, I fully supported this concept. I was recently saddened to find that orange sticks do not actually have an iota of Vitamin C. They do, however, have a thin dark chocolate coating, chocolate has been linked to increasing serotonin levels, serotonin is linked to happiness, happiness is scarce when you have a cold...Uncle Jim was onto something.
There is a very good chance you have boxes of orange sticks lying around from the holidays. Even if you don't have a cold, these little goodies shouldn't go to waste and, boy, do I have the solution for you. I have been dreaming up these cookies for some time now and am quite pleased with the results. Let's be frank: they taste like an orange stick in a cookie. Which is delicious. And necessary.
P.S. Even if you don't have leftover Orange Sticks, you can find them at Trader Joe's year round.
Orange Stick Cookies
6 TBLS. butter
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips, divided
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp. orange extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBLS. orange zest
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
10-15 orange sticks, chopped into chunks
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
2. In a heat proof bowl over simmering water, melt the butter, 6 oz. chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate, stirring occasionally until completely melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, use a stand or hand held mixer to beat eggs, orange extract and sugar on medium high for 2-3 minutes until batter thickens.
4. With mixer on low, slowly add the cooled chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.
5. Mix orange zest, flour, baking powder and salt separately. With mixer on low, slowly add it to the batter. Do not over mix.
6. Fold in remaining chocolate chips and orange stick chunks.
7. Using two large spoons, drop onto cookie sheets. The batter will be wet, but should easily set into a mound.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on sheets. Remember to allow cooling before eating because the gelatin will be piping hot!
9. Enjoy. And get over that cold. :)