Sunday, December 1, 2013

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies


I have a confession to make. I love prepackaged cookie dough. I more than love it - I adore it. It's amazing! And it just comes in so handy! Baked, unbaked, any way you like it, always just waiting for you in the refrigerator in case you have a cookie craving and don't have the time or energy for baking. It's just such a wonderful invention. I really can't say enough good things about it. But as a self proclaimed cookie connoisseur, I feel a little guilty about this addiction. I feel like I should be a purist, someone who only accepts the homemade goodness of a made-from-scratch goody, with a palate too sensitive for something store bought. But alas. I am not. 

My favorite prepackaged cookie dough are the Pillsbury sugar cookies that come on a little tray and have seasonal pictures on them. You know, the kind marketed to children. Both times when I was pregnant my husband would always bring these home for me on at least a weekly basis for me and pop them in the oven around bedtime. I found that the ideal consumption is precisely six cookies in one sitting, complete with milk and probably a little TV. Now I'm not promoting this habit for all seasons of life. But sometimes you just gotta.

Well, I have finally found the homemade version of those delectable, six-at-a-time Pillsbury store bought sugar cookies from http://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com. They are utterly delicious. And the thing is, no - they don't offer the ease of ready made cookies, but they do offer the goodness of home cookin' and ease my mind from store bought guilt. Because even if it's not actually healthy, everything's better for you if it's made from scratch, right? At least you know what's in it. AND you can make a big as batch as you want! Win win.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the butter, oil,  and sugars. Then add eggs and vanilla and beat well until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add to the butter mixture and combine until completely incorporated and smooth.
4. Chill the dough in the fridge until easier to work with, at least 30 minutes.
5. Drop the batter by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. Do not over bake!

Enjoy your homemade guilt-free-guilty-pleasure cookies!



3 comments:

  1. These look amazing ... I definitely count anything home made as "healthier" however sugary ;-) Alice @ Mums Make Lists

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alice! And I agree - homemade is always "healthy!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these and they are delicious! Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs