Monday, December 9, 2013

Peppermint Bark Cocoa Crinkles


I love a good bet.  I really don't like to gamble, but if I had to make a wager, I would bet that you will love these cookies. Last year I created the base of these cookies, a Peppermint Cocoa Crinkle, but this year they've been taken to a whole new level. Because if there's one thing better than a chocolate and peppermint cookie, it's a chocolate and peppermint cookie with peppermint bark inside. Obviously this is a delicious combination. Don't believe me? Try them! I dare you. 

1 cup shortening
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
peppermint bark - homemade or store bought. I got mine from Trader Joe's. 
Candy canes - crushed

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, peppermint and vanilla and beat until nice and fluffy. 
3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to wet mixture and mix in thoroughly. 
4. Chop peppermint bark into small pieces, about 1/2" by 1/2". Roll dough into 1-2" balls with a piece of peppermint bark inside.
5.  Bake on cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes. Let cool on the pan. While cookies are still hot, sprinkle with crushed candy canes.

Note: These are really good warm when the chocolate in the center is all nice and gooey, but they also can be enjoyed at room temperature. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs