Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sugar Cookies with Apple Cider Glaze


I live in a small town. A very small town. I was reminded of this fact when I set out to buy a leaf shaped cookie cutter to make autumnal sugar cookies and came up short. I think I tried three grocery stores and one specialty baking store that existed on Yelp but didn't exist in real life before I settled on a huge box of 100 cookie cutters from Walmart that turned out to not have leaves. So. There you have it. How do you know if you live in a small town? No cookie cutters. Only Walmart.

In the end I just made sugar cookies with this delicious little glaze. I am always on the look-out for a good sugar cookie recipe (as is cousin Abby) and I thought this one was pretty good. I liked it better than the Spider Cookie Sugar Cookies I tried a couple weeks ago. And the glaze was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. I came up with it on the what-should-i-do-with-this-leftover-cider spot.

Sugar Cookies with Apple Cider Glaze

Sugar Cookies

2 sticks butter
1 and 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 and 1/3 tsp. vanilla
1 and 1/3 tsp. baking powder
3 and 1/3 cups cake flour
dash salt

In large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Chill dough until easier to work with, about one hour. Roll cookies on well floured surface. Cut into desired shape. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes until just lightly browned on the bottom (do not overbake!). Allow cookies to cool on wire rack

Apple Cider Glaze

Powdered sugar (about 2 cups)
Apple Cider (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 tsp. vanilla

Here's the thing about glaze. You just do it by feel; I don't know exact measurements. I started with about 2 cups powdered sugar and added apple cider in small increments, about 1 TBLS at a time until it reached the proper consistency. To check if it's done, dip a knife into the glaze; if the glaze holds on the knife without running off, you're probably done.  If you add to much cider, don't worry, just add a little more powdered sugar. 

Dip cooled sugar cookies into glaze face down and place onto wax paper or tin foil. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Allow cookies to sit until glaze sets. Enjoy!

Sugar Cookie recipe adapted for quantity from Cutler's Bakery

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious!

    I have also found that the smaller the town, the smaller the cheese selection. How's the cheese selection in your neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlee! Surprisingly, there is a cheese monger at a nearby market. It is indeed a small town, but one catered to wealthy wineries and fancy food, just not moms and cookie cutters. Plenty of cheeses I've never even heard of!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs