Pregnancy makes us do strange and delicious things. Like make PB cookies with not one, but two types of frosting. Why two you ask? Try them. You'll understand. Fortunately, out of my four sisters-in-law in my husband's family, three are pregnant and I am also pregnant. So I have plenty of people to try these out on. Pregnancy is really quite in right now, you see. We will go from two to seven grand babies by Christmas! If that math was tricky, I understand. One is having twins. Oh baby baby...baby baby baby.
Anyway, my pregnant self devoured these. They are a-mazing. And rather filling, if you ask me. I have been famished, I tell you, and these little/actually rather big treats took off the edge.
I know you probably shouldn't have double frosted peanut butter cookies every day. But if you are pregnant, today is that day. Or...if you may become pregnant, you were pregnant once, you know somebody who is pregnant, you are married to someone who is pregnant...or you like peanut butter...today is also that day.
Double Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 cups cake flour
1-12 oz. bag peanut butter chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together butter and sugars. Blend in vanilla and eggs.
3. Add dry ingredients; mix well.
4. Fold in peanut butter chocolate chips.
5. Using ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons, scoop into 2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until set.
6. Let cool, then frost with peanut butter frosting and chocolate frosting (recipes below).
Peanut Butter Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (not natural)
milk to thin to proper consistency (whole milk recommended)
1. Cream together butter and powdered sugar.
2. Add peanut butter and beat until smooth.
3. Add milk a tablespoon at a time, just until frosting is smooth and creamy.
1 cup butter
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 - 1/3 cup milk
1. Cream together butter and 5 cups powdered sugar.
2. Add cocoa and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until frosting is smooth. If needed, add more powdered sugar.
*I must confess; I did not actually make this frosting. I didn't have the energy to make two types of frosting (see above referenced medical condition) so I used chocolate frosting from a can. I can't say that I'm sorry. They were still delicious!
Recipe slightly adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen via Cutler's Cookies
p.s. The pictures on A Bountiful Kitchen's website of these cookies are amazing. I don't know how she made her cookies so perfectly round or got that frosting on there without making a huge mess, but she did. My pictures aren't so pretty, but I can't say that anyone minded when they tried them :)