My son is going to be a monster for Halloween this year - probably the cutest monster Halloween Town has ever seen, but I'm biased. These monster cookies are almost as cute as him! And you can make them with your kids/monsters, which is a great perk. I confess, I did not make them with my kid. He was asleep. But he's six months, so we'll cut him some slack (this time).
I got all of my decoration supplies at Walmart, so if you live in an even remotely populated town in America than you should have no problem finding the following:
Candy Eyeballs - a must!
Fruit snacks - for embellishing and snacking
Gel pen - makes "gluing" on and drawing quite easy
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla Extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 Tbsp. lemon rind
Colored sugar or sprinkles
Decorations: candy eye, gel frosting, fruit snacks
1. Using mixing, blend butter, sugar and vanilla thoroughly.
2. Mix in flour, salt and lemon rind.
3. Divide dough into two parts.
4. Add a couple drops of food coloring to each half of dough according to desired color. Mix thoroughly. I found that mixing it in with my hands worked best to make the color even.
5. Work separate halves of dough into a ball and then mold into rolls, about 2-3" across.
6. Roll the roll (sounds like a dance move) into colored sprinkles or sugar. It should look like this:
7. Cover with saran wrap and chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
8. Take dough out of fridge. Allow to soften a bit until easy to slice.
9. Slice in approx. 1/4" slices.
10. Bake on un-greased baking sheet @ 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Do not brown.
11. Let cool on baking rack.
I made purple with colored sprinkles and green with orange sugar, however, there are lots of other monstrous combinations to be found. Use whatever colors you like!
14. Yum, yum.