I realize it is now the 5th of July and these brownies were made for the 4th of July - red, white and blue treats are really the essence of a good Independence Day. The good news is, treats are a good way to celebrate any day, so enjoy them whenever you like! Red treats also come in handy for Christmas, Valentine's and horror films.
1/2 cup butter
2 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
red food coloring gel - I used a whole tube, but I'm not positive this was necessary.
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Melt butter and chocolate together in small, heatproof bowl. Stir until combined and very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
2. Beat sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Add flour and salt and stir just until combined.
3. Pour into 8x8 greased pan and spread in even layer.
4. To prepare cheesecake mixture, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth. Distribute the cheesecake mixture in 8 dollops over batter in the pan. Swirl in with knife or spatula.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes until brownies and cheesecake are set.
6. Top with blueberries (or strawberries or nothing!)
Original recipe: Baking Bites